Friday, December 2, 2011

The Grateful Challenge

To capitalize on lots of time during my days, I've taken to reading while feeding William. The twenty minutes eleven times a day adds up and I end up getting some fun things read! While reading the First Presidency message from this month (found here) I decided that I wanted to take the "grateful challenge" and list out 100 things I am grateful right now in my life. This is probably something just for me, but maybe it will get you thinking about all the things you're grateful in your life too :)


  1. 1. 
    Write 10 physical abilities you are grateful for.
    1. My sight- so that I can see the people I love and things I love.
    2. My ability to run- I've missed it since being pregnant.
    3. My ability to snuggle my baby- he's so precious.
    4. The gift of physical touch- being loved by my hubby is the best.
    5. My ability to play soccer- I've always been a brute and I love it! Soccer is refreshing.
    6. My ability to hear- I love music and listening to good conversation.
    7. My ability to laugh- who doesn't love a good joke?!
    8. My ability to taste- I love good food... probably too much ;) 
    9. My ability to clean- A clean house makes for a happy wife (aka me).
    10. My ability to speak- life would be so frustrating not being able to communicate what I'm thinking! (William inspired!)
  2. 2. 
    Write 10 material possessions you are grateful for.
    1. Chapstick. You keep my lips smooth and happy.
    2. Clothes. Although I am sure I have far too many, I love variety and how comfy cozy they are.
    3. Wedding ring. It still gives me a smile every time I look at it.
    4. Camera. It captures the every day moments of my life that I don't want to forget.
    5. Books. I love books! They keep me thinking, therefore they keep me sane.
    6. Bed, pillows, blankets. Sleeping on the floor is just not comfortable.
    7. Phone. It lets me talk to my family. Oh how I miss them...
    8. Car. I love being able to cruise around so easily.
    9. Binki. It makes my son happy so it makes me really happy.
    10. Ring from my dad. I always say it's my good luck charm. It helps me remember how valued I am to him.
  3. 3. 
    Write 10 living people you are grateful for.
    1. My husband. He is very loving, supportive, kind, and generous. 
    2. My baby boy. I love this little angel more than I can express. He's precious.
    3. My parents. They have given me more than I can ever give back. They're rock solid.
    4. My sister. She's my best friend ever and hero. God knew I couldn't make it through life without her.
    5. My siblings. I could list them all individually, they're all that great! They each bring me happiness and joy. I can't imagine my life without each of them. I've been blessed to be close to all of them.
    6. Ashley Vaccaro. She's a true, constant friend. She makes me laugh all the time.
    7. My in-laws. I couldn't have lucked out more. They're super loving and hilarious! 
    8. My college professors. They helped teach me skills I'll use forever.
    9. My grandparents. They're they type of people I want to become. 
    10. The kind people who take us in everywhere we move. I need them more than I can admit to...
  4. 4. 
    Write 10 deceased people you are grateful for.
    1. First and foremost would have to be my Savior.  I am thankful for His willingness to live a life that grants my loved ones and me salvation, peace, and hope.
    2. My ancestors. They planted to seeds for what I have today. 
    3. Joseph Smith. He was a man with imperfections, but who tried to over come them and do the Lord's will. I admire that.
    4. Our Forefathers. They built a platform for the greatness of this country to build off of. 
    5. Corrie ten Boom. She lived a courageous life that unintentionally has strengthened mine. 
    6. My grandpa, Roy. I've been blessed to not lose many family members, but he's one I look forward to getting to know better on the other side.
    7. Great grandpa Thomas Martin. I've been learning a little more about him. He set goals and didn't stop until he accomplished them. 
    8. This may be too general, but the people from the scriptures. They inspire me! 
    9. My husband's grandpas. That's where my boys got their namesakes from (grandpa Richard Gibbs and grandpa William Constantine).
    10. Abish. I want to meet her some day!
  5. 5. 
    Write 10 things about nature you are grateful for.
    1. Rain. I love the smell of it!
    2. Big beautiful trees.
    3. Fresh flowers (spring time.. ah!)
    4. Freshly cut grass.
    5. Crisp, crunchy snow.
    6. Hiking trails through the mountains.
    7. Lakes for swimming and boating.
    8. Wood for camp fires.
    9. Animals that spruce it up.
    10. Wet sagebrush, makes me think of home.
  6. 6. 
    Write 10 things about today you are grateful for.
    1. Sleep. William let us rest until 8 am before getting up for the day.
    2. Soap. William pooped on me... it was disgusting. 
    3. Richard being the bread winner. He works hard for us.
    4. Work out rooms that let me get this bod back in shape.
    5. Burp cloths to catch all this spit up! 
    6. Yummy food and chocolate.
    7. Naps with my baby. So refreshing.
    8. Clean spaces to live in.
    9. Being able to feed my baby. It's such a good feeling.
    10. Shopping options.
  7. 7. 
    Write 10 places on earth you are grateful for.
    1. Home (my parents home that is...) Such good memories there!
    2. Iowa/hospital where I had William.
    3. Idaho, it's where I met my stud muffin ;)
    4. BYU-I, where I got my degree in education.
    5. Half Dome, such a beautiful place!
    6. Grocery stores. They make life convenient!
    7. Cozy apartments that we make home.
    8. Minnesota. HQ of my hubby's work and an entertaining place to live.
    9. Nana's property. We played there a lot growing up.
    10. Carmel, CA. Can you say honeymoon?!
  8. 8. 
    Write 10 modern inventions you are grateful for.
    1. Cell phone. It makes life so much easier!!
    2. GPS. It saves me hours by helping me not get lost.
    3. Computer. 
    4. The internet.
    5. Lights.
    6. My car/ cars in general.
    7. Can openers and poultry sheers, they make my life happy!
    8. Camera.
    9. Airplanes.
    10. iPod, I love muscia. 
  9. 9. 
    Write 10 foods you are grateful for.
    1. Pizza, I haven't left the prepubescent love for the food yet...
    2. Chocolate, nom nom nom!
    3. Strawberries.
    4. Grapes.
    5. Apples.
    6. Bananas. (Yes, I am a fruit lover)
    7. Cheese.
    8. Ritz crackers.
    9. Granola bars (Nature Valley especially).
    10. Bread, can never go wrong with it...
  10. 10. 
    Write 10 things about the gospel you are grateful for.
    1. The atonement. It has had more of a powerful influence in my life than I know how to express. There are things in life that only the atonement can make better and I'm so grateful to know that.
    2. Prayer. It's amazing to me how many of the "little" things matter to our Heavenly Father. 
    3. The instant network of friends you have in the church.  This is particularly important to me at this time of life when we're moving around so much. Heaven knows I need friends no matter where we live! 
    4. The temple. It's not only an exquisite building, but it has let me make further covenants with my Heavenly Father that give needed protection and guidance to my little family. 
    5. The words of living Prophets. I love General Conference! I find myself listening and re-listening to the talks year round. I either get something new or have what I already got reinforced and I'm really thankful for that.
    6. The Holy Ghost. It has, is, and will play a vital role in my life to help me become who I want to be.
    7. Personal Revelation. I'm glad to know that I personally can receive answers to my individual prayers through the help of the Holy Ghost, prayer, and scripture.
    8. The Book of Mormon. Its words just make sense to me... There's a lot of truth to be found.
    9. Eternal Families. I am thankful to know that my family will be together forever, even after death.
    10. Forgiveness. I am far from perfect, so I need this a lot...

2 comments:

mom/Anne said...

I love this post Jess! Very interesting. A beautiful glimpse into your soul. There is sooooo much to be grateful for! Thanks for sharing!

mom/Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.