Alright, it's about time for me to start blogging about this stinkin' cute baby of ours! He's officially two weeks old now and boy has time flown. I am definitely still learning how to get used to doing things one handed and figuring out time management. We got ultra spoiled by having my mom with us for two weeks, which was the bomb! She took care of all the cooking, held little William so I could get things done, and gave me much needed company and support while Richard was gone at work. We already miss her and it has only been a day since she left, pathetic I know!
William is a very sweet baby. He's not one to be overly fussy. He loves to look around (he doesn't make eye contact yet), listen to music, be cuddled, smile in his sleep (he's starting to giggle!!), have his hair washed, and fart, he's very good at it too! The things that make him upset are when he's hungry and is wet/poopy or gassy (which it feels like he's been gassy a lot more regularly lately :-/). He is a fabulous eater! I think I was destined to be a wet nurse (no joking...), so we've finally devised a feed schedule that will fill his tummy, help me not to pop, as well as prevent him from being drowned by gushing milk! He's been patient with me as I try to figure out all of this mommy business, and I am so grateful for that!
Richard has been a tremendous support. He was an incredible coach/partner during the delivery and was the one who helped me relax enough in the last hour of labour to be able to progress and start pushing. He was so giddy and supportive during the delivery- he and the nurses/doctor made me feel like a super start for the 45 minutes I pushed (now that's impressive!)
Now, for a brief summary of the labor...
I went in on Tues (Oct. 25th) at 5 PM to start the induction since I was past my due date.
At 6 PM they gave me a cervix softener to help push things along.
We walked around the hospital for hours to try to help the contractions come a long. They came, and I looked like I would be speeding into delivery before long so they didn't give me another cervix softener or start me on pitocin.
I tried to sleep but was so anxious that I really couldn't sleep. Richard couldn't either because, believe it or not, the set up they have for the hubby is not nearly as nice as for the momma!
At 5:30 AM we walked around some more, and I thought they were going to start me on pitocin to get things really roaring. No such luck. They said I was making enough progress on my own and were going to let me keep going at it.
They broke my water around 7 AM thinking that'd really put me over the edge. My contractions got worse, but I didn't make much change in my dilation.
At around 3 PM I asked for my epidural. The contractions were painful enough and long enough, I was exhausted, starved, and full of labor shakes that I figured it'd be a good time and it could help me relax.
Richard held me while I got my epidural until he saw the needle and began to feel faint and queazy, he and the nurse swapped places real fast and Rich regained his color for the next 15 minutes.
The epidural didn't have the relaxing effect I hoped for. I didn't enjoy how numb my legs felt but was grateful the pain from the contractions was greatly reduced.
I began feeling queazy and had a fake attack like I was going to throw up. A little later while playing Farkle in attempts to pass the time, and after having eaten some ice cream and chicken broth, I completely lost it... That wasn't so much fun!
I wasn't making fast progress like I had hoped and really began to feel discouraged. I was worried that labor would keep going on and I would have no strength to deliver the baby, I was so exhausted but couldn't sleep and I began to really feel my contractions again.
The anesthesiologist came back in and helped redo my epidural. Rich then began rubbing my legs and for some reason it felt so divinely good that I finally relaxed enough to sleep.
The nurses came in and set up the room for delivery and at around 10 PM my doctor came in, checked me and said that I was ready to push. I had just relaxed enough to sleep though so I was ready to tell them they could wait and I'd take a quick nap and then begin the pushing, but I couldn't quite get the words out of my mouth before my body charged up and was stoked to get this baby here!
I pushed for 45 minutes, and felt like a super star every second. It was incredible to see and feel the progress I was making in delivering our baby. Rich was right by my side and was so encouraging. Seeing his reaction to my progression acted like triple motivation each time I started to push.
I could feel enough of the contraction up under my ribs that I knew when I should push and when to relax which was really nice.
It was the most surreal moment right after he was fully delivered to look down and see this beautiful little baby and realize that he was my baby. It's hard to describe the utter joy and complete love I felt so quickly. Having Richard by my side and our baby in our arms was like heaven on earth to me!
After they cleaned William up, I got to nurse him. He latched on very quickly and fed for an hour! It was so very precious.
Rich and my mom went home around 2 AM to sleep for the night while William and I camped out at the hospital.
After regaining strength to my legs I really needed to use the bathroom. I couldn't make it all the way to the bathroom in my room, so they brought a portable one to my bedside. The nurses helped me get situated and watched me closely. It was a very good thing because after relieving myself, I began feeling really funny and actually passed out in the nurses arms.
I woke back up in bed as they were strapping me up to all the monitors to make sure I was going to be fine.
Things turned out just great and I just needed to get a bit of sleep to keep going!
It took me a good week to feel more normal and balanced again. We're definitely continuing to keep things slow and that's good for me!
We are so in love with our little guy and couldn't be more blessed :)
A little bit of ice cream and a game of Farkle to pass the time.
This photo is one of the most sacred moments of my life. It makes me want to cry all over again looking at it!
My sweet little family
Comfy, cozy passing the time!
Mumsie and William
Isn't he a cutie?!
Rich was a sweetie and brought me roses, balloons, and my fav. candy (peanut M&M's!)
Getting ready to take the little man home :) Rich is sooo cute and hates it when William is even the slightest bit upset, he does everything he can to comfort him.
Ciao hospital!
William's first car ride.
Bringing home baby :)
This melts my heart.
Taking him back for his 2 day (after leaving the hospital) check-up.
His name on the pumpkin patch door :)
His first stroller ride.
He gets such funny, concerned looks!
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Thanks for sharing!! I love hearing about the labor and delivery of others because it reminds me of my own and all of the wonderful feelings that came with it. I'm glad our baby isn't the only one with massive gas. Ada definitely has man farts. Just wait until you're sitting in Relief Society with William and he fills his pants during the closing prayer. Been there! It's a little embarrassing but everyone laughs, and that's comforting. :)
Awww...yay! It was cool to re-read your labor story. He is such a babe!
Congrats! He is such a little cutie. I'm so glad the labor and delivery went well. That feeling you got when they first put him on your chest is indescribable. And it happens with the next kiddo too! (Makes me wanna cry too and I'm not 2 weeks postpartum :) ) What a joy it is to be a mom. I'm sort of jealous of the feeling like you're going to pop and the gushing milk- never experienced that. So, even though it might be stressful, count your blessings! I'm so glad he's here. Ya'll are the cutest little family ever!
Post a Comment