Although my birthday was last month, I still wanted to post a few pictures from it and from our fun adventure to DC to celebrate it :)
Since DC is relitively "so close" we both wanted to go to DC for our birthdays, so for Richard's trip we made it to the DC temple (which was BEAUTIFUL!), and for mine we hit the museums and monuments. We had an absolute blast looking at all of the neat things there, sweating to death, and wearing our feet out.

When my darling hubby got home from work, he quickly got to work on making us a nice birthday feast which consisted of hamburgers, fruit salad, and cake.

He refused to let me look into the dining area unti he had the candles lit on his hand crafted cake (I give him mad props!) There weren't 21 candles, but I think I blew them each out 21 times... he got the tricky kind that don't blow out on your first try.

Again, being the cute man he is, he got extra creative and wrapped my presents in the floor plans for the immunitions building he is working with for his internship (should I mention that one was for a bathroom? tehee)

Low and behold he got me the two things that I really wanted! A watch and the book, Star Gril. I know it's a kids book, but I have heard so much about it and have been dying to read it. It really is such a fun book, and although it's fiction, you end up wanting to be a better, more considerate person, so I'd say that's a good thing!

As a late birthday present to himself, or maybe it was a family investment? Richard bought a nice kayak like he has wanted since he was 16. He's all sorts of manly now that he has his hotty kayak!

Don't be jealous ladies... I just get to live with this man... ya... We sleep in the same room ;)
(*This is the first one he bought that he sold a week later... haha, we don't have any new pictures of the other one yet).
Now for the DC ACTION!!

Here is the original Smithsonian. It is now the information center, but we learned that a man gave all of his inheritance/ wealth to the US, and so they decided to build the Smithsonian after him. I am positive there is much more to the story- that's just my digested version of it.

The metro spit us out in the middle of what is called "The Mall", or big open grassy area that has tents set up with this that and the other thing. The tall tower in the back is the Washington Memorial.

Behind me is the Museum of Natural History. This is the first museum that we decided to hit-I'd say it was a good choice...

Inside it was full of all sorts of different things from fossils, to life-size stuffed animals (not the kind you sleep with either ;)), all the way to diamonds, etc. Behind me is the jaw of a shark. "No thank you," is all I have to say.

They had the most interesting saffari display! I fell in love with it quickly.

I thought of Brad when I saw this. I figured he'd appreciate it since he is such the hunter himself.

This is the elephant that greets you when you enter and leave the museum- isn't he cute?!

Not that you can tell, but this is the area where they keep all of the dinasour bones. Richard really liked this spot. He seems to know a little bit about everything, so I got to hear a few interesting tid bits all throughout the museum.

Now for the Air and Space Museum! Richard was dying to go there! If we were only able to see one museum that day, this would have been the one he would have chosen to get lost in.

The place was chock full of amazing exhibits and real artifacts from the early explorations of flight, etc.

This was a sign that they have up as you leave the space section of the museum. After reading it Richard and I both thought that this next picture should be on the wall behind it...

I find it applicable ;)

Midway through the museum (just one of them...)

If Richard were by me, I'd have him tell me more information about this plane.... If I recall, it's simply one of the original planes.

Here is a mini model of what the space crafts look like. They are HUGE things, which shouldn't be too surprising, but it is to me for some reason! *Every time I hear/ see things about space exploration I always think of Julie and how she loved Appolo 13 when we were younger.

In front of the module that the astronauts live in while in space.

Richard, being the sweet, caring man that he is decided to share his lunch (saltine crackers with PB&Jelly... ya, we got creative) with the birds. If this were Brad the picture would show Richard holding the pigeon rather than feeding it!

We call this love... :)

Approaching the Capitol Building! It's a monsterous building!

Here is the statue that sits infront of the Capitol Building by a few yards. It is very moving, especially seeing it up close. There is so much pride and strength that is protrayed. You can't help but feeling a little more proud and a little more connected to our country.

(A close view of one of the statues)

The Capitol Building!

The arcitecture of this building is magnificent!

Despite the sweltering heat, we decided to walk all the way around the building. It proved to be a good choice despite the layer of sweat we acquired.

The back side of the Capitol Building.

Staying cool under the shade of the trees...


"Walk like an Egyptian..." (sing along now!)

Mom, this one is for you! Edgar Degas :)

Between two Monet paintings. (We're big fans! Our mammas taught us well.)

We were ultra tempted to stop here and soak our feet with the rest of the tourists. It was so hot and our feet were so tired, but we decided to trek on.

Why did we just keep going? Because we had amazing things like this to see still!

As well as this (Washington Monument).
1 comments:
Wow Jess! Nice job on the pictures. I feel transported there with you. What a great opportunity to see the beauty of our national monuments. When we were in France and Spain I loved seeing the beauty of their important national and historic buildings, because I know how much I love ours. They are such treasures!
And thanks for the Degas and Monet shots. Thanks for thinking of your mothers.
I love the kayak! It looks like a very nice one. You two are very cute together.
Post a Comment