Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christ, Our Savior

Last Christmas, my dad gave me this picture as a reminder of my beautiful role as a divinely appointed mother. As I think of this heavenly role I have as a mother, I also reflect on the stewardship the Lord gave Mary to raise our Savior. The task must have felt daunting to her at times, but I love her response when the angel tells her how it is to be done. She replies, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word" (Luke 1:38). I think of this woman, knowing that to conceive a child without being married would be seen as a disgrace and a reason to have her stoned to death, yet she replied in faith, trusting in the Lord and His eternal plan. It is no wonder our Savior was born to this woman. She truly was a woman of faith, a woman of obedience and love.

My heart swells with gratitude when I think of our Savior being born into this world as a tiny little babe, and tears prick at my eyes when I imagine this woman called of God, cradling her precious babe. How she must have felt is beyond my understanding as she felt the weight of holding the Savior of the world in her mortal arms.

Born into humble circumstances and enduring mortal experiences similar to the ones we experience today, our Savior always held onto the divinity He was born with. He led a perfect life, a sinless life, a life I truly cannot comprehend, but trust in.

As I look at this picture that now hangs on our wall in our home, I think of what the Lord would have me do. My heart is full of thanks to my God for sending a Savior to this earth, His only Begotten Son, so that I may taste of the goodness of forgiveness and eternal life. Christ truly did come into this earth, born of Mary, to atone for our sins, sorrows, and inadequacies. Through His atonement, I truly may become like Him and live with Him and my family throughout all eternity. How grateful I am for this time of year to remember my Saviors birth and to allow my heart to be filled with the joy His life has brought into my life.

And so with that said, I truly wish you all a Merry Christmas with a heart full of love and gratitude!

0 comments: