Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Richard's Birthday and DC Temple Trip

(I was so proud that I successfully made a bundt cake and did not have it fall apart on me! YAHOO!)

(We didn't have any candles, so he blew out imaginary ones and made a really good wish that surely will come true ;))

For Richard's birthday, we took a long awaited trip up to go to the DC temple and see some of the historic places in Washington DC. We were astounded by the beauty of the temple! This trip was one of the most precious experiences. Since we have been traveling/moving and are now in a new state where the temple isn't just 5 minutes up the road, the last time we had both been to the temple was when we were married nearly 2 months ago. As we approached the temple I felt like a giddy little girl. There was so much excitement in my heart and my joy overflowed into a smile that could hardly be contained on my face. In a place that was completely unfamiliar to me I felt so much peace, joy, and comfort as I looked upon this beautiful safe haven our Father in Heaven has blessed us with- it was like I belonged there. Words cannot express the tender gratitude I felt/feel in my heart for having places like temples to enter into to feel the loving care of my eternal Father, and to better understand the paths I should take in life. While inside, I felt the deep reassurance that we are all here on this earth for a divine purpose, that God really is watching over us and is anxious to bless and protect us as we are obedient to His commandments. I know that amidst all of life's troubling worries and trials that God will never leave us comfortless. He is constantly reaching towards us, ever ready to lend a helping hand. It is such a blessing, and truly a tender mercy, to be able to go to the temple and be apart of such sacred ordinances despite how imperfect I am. It is such a treasure to be able to go to the temple, the House of the Lord.

(Lauren, you are definitely going to want to visit this temple so you can put its card in with your collection! I think you would LOVE it!)



2 comments:

Lauren said...

Yes please!! =)

Kris said...

I love the DC Temple - isn't it in the most beautiful setting as well.

If you ever want to spend the night there are people in that neighborhood that rent out rooms very cheaply.

When Larry and I went to DC a few years back we stayed with a lady right by the church. Let me know if you are interested.