Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Feeling Sentimental
Although I've already posted today... I'm feeling rather sentimental and just have to gush out some feelers here.
I have the world's greatest sister! I simply can't say how incredibly grateful I am for her. She is a person that is just pure gold through and through. Richard and I laugh, but whenever I have a question for him that he doesn't have a good answer for (like "how should I cut my hair??") he automatically says, "I dunno, ask your sister."
Heavenly Father definitely knew what He was doing by letting me have Jena as my big sister. I've learned a ton from her, and have the best memories with her from growing up.
Jena, although I'm 4 years younger than her, would let me tag along with her and her friends in high school and even college. She never made me feel like I was a burden or that socially I was making her "uncool". I always felt like she wanted me to be with her and that she liked having my company. She listened to me vent about boys and friends, and I listened to her (although when we were in elementary school and she would confide in me about having a boyfriend I would use it as a way to get her in trouble when she did something to make me mad... bad sister!)
In 7th and 8th grade, Jena was the teacher's aid in my choir class just so that she could see me. (Jena was in 11th and 12th grade.) She would bring me cool snacks like peanut m&m's (my fav), smoothies, and would even help get me out of school early so that we could go hang out and get chocolate milk from Dutch Bro's with whipped cream on the top of the straws.
I remember sitting on our bathroom counter in the mornings before school and watching Jena curl her pretty long blond hair, and then I'd try to copy her when she was all finished. Somehow it never turned out quite like hers did, but she always tried to do things to help me feel pretty- like dressing me up and doing my hair for my 7th grade pictures (she even let me borrow her clothes!)
When Jena went away to college, I remember it felt like my heart was yanked out of me. We talked on the phone a lot and sent emails back and forth. I don't remember what we would talk about in particular, I just know how important it was for me to stay close to my sister. She, at this point, influence me greatly to care more about the gospel than about any thing else high school had to throw at me. Her influence at this time of my life made all the difference in the world, and really is why I am where I am today. She helped me realize that living the gospel was the thing that would and does bring me the most happiness on earth. She helped me to figure out that I am a divine daughter of God, and that I will forever matter to Him. She helped me to realize the capacity I have to do good and to change the world for the better. She made me feel special and validated in all the ways a teenage girl needs to.
Those are all very fond memories I keep close to my heart, and while years have passed since that time, I've been so blessed to keep her friendship strong. She is my constant go-to girl. It doesn't matter if it's a pathetic question like, "where does your grocery store usually keep their pita pockets?" or a more important question like, "how do I not feel incompetent as a wife and mother?" Jena always has an answer and something I need to hear for the day.
Jena inspires me to be a loving wife, an involved mommy, and a kind friend. She inspires me to turn to the Lord, to be honest with myself, and to whip my body back into shape! ;) She helps me realize that it's okay to be human and make mistakes, and that it's okay to be passionate about special things in life. Best of all, as of late, Jena helps me to never feel lonely or without a friend. I know that no matter what comes in life I'll always have a friend in her, and I thank God for that.. truly I do.
It's amazing to me how tremendously wonderful the influence of a sister is.
I look forward to the day when we can be neighbors and I can spoil her rotten with love and service, just like she has done for me for so long. Oh, and I'm totally stoked to have her close by so that we can workout and hang out together all the time! :)
Thanks Jen for always being my best friend, I love you :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Ah, sisters (and sister-in-laws) are the best, arent they? :) My lil sis and I are besties, too, and thank GOODNESS for cell phone so we can keep in touch with loved ones way easier than 10 years ago! Do you remember the days of phone cards and long-distance calls? I do NOT miss them, no siree. Speaking of cell phones and keeping in touch, Saige and I will give you a call this week! We miss you!
Post a Comment